The central square is surrounded by prominent stone buildings, which enrich the architectural look of Võru that is mainly home to wooden houses.
Designed by architect Henn Kuvasto, the functionalist building was completed in 1938 for the county government. Before that, the Võru postal station of the historical Tartu–Võru post road was located at the same place. The house has always been used as an administrative building and today, it functions as the Võru State House.
The building also houses the Võru County Tourist Information Centre, which can be visited during the opening hours:
15 September to 14 May Mon–Fri 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
15 May to 14 September Mon–Fri 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. and Sat–Sun 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.