The Monument to the Estonian Mother was inaugurated in Rõuge on 26 June 2010.
The monument is meant to demonstrate appreciation for the Estonian woman as a mother, to express gratitute, and to value the survival of our people.
Hans Sissas (1933 - 2012), who has recounted the stories of Estonian deportees and authored many memoirs, initiated the idea of a monument to the Estonian mother, and lead the efforts to have the monument completed.
The monument is made from stone brought from Udmurtia, and is 3.6 high, weighing nearly 6 tonnes.
The monument was designed by the artists/sculptors Ilme and Riho Kuld, and was made by the sculptors/stone masons Margus Kurvits and Kristjan Kittus.